Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Bridesmaids vs. The Dress

My friend Emmy got engaged many moons ago, and asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I remember walking into the bridal shop, asking for the dress number in my "size" and taking it into the dressing room. Here, my friends, is where I had an emotional breakdown... I was not a size 6... The very kind and stylish designer would not let me fit into their size 6... today I was a 10. Double digits? I nearly died.

The same thing happened with my wedding... and the phone calls from the bridesmaids ensued... "Are you sure this is the dress we're supposed to wear?", "The size chart is wrong!"... Really? The size chart? From the designer who makes the dresses? You're going to argue with that? OK (the sarcasm on that remark was free).

Listen, I, of all people understand that your size does matter. We hold onto that size 2, 4, 6 or 16 with every inch; and when some dress designer wants to tell us that we're a size 10 or 20 it makes us stand there with our mouth open saying, "huh!?"

Here is what all bridesmaids need to understand... You were chosen out of many childhood friends, high school BFF's, college suitemates, and workplace confidants... YOU! The Bride chose YOU to stand up with her on the most important day of her life, and your only responsibility is to take stress OFF of your friend. I've worn bridesmaid dresses that I hated, thought were the wrong color, insulted at the size and sold afterward. Her taste may not be yours, and the designer may be off in your mind... but it's not really about you is it? Choose to be a friend in this time. The dress and the day is not about you... it's about the Bride and Groom. Put your focus there and you will make your Bride a friend for life.

Books that saved my life when I was a bridesmaid can be found here.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment