Sunday, March 14, 2010

WPPI

This was my first experience at the world's largest photography conference... also known as WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International).  I remember listening to one of the speakers when he said when that at WPPI you can be surrounded by people, but feel entirely alone.  I think I spent most of the first day in tears... all of the photographers I tried talking to snubbed me, I couldn't find anyone to eat lunch with, and the party the night before was not all it was cracked up to be.

Something I realized is that although I may have my stuff together, it is nothing compared to what some of these photographers are doing.  I listened to people like Scott & Adina Hayne, Jasmine Star (who is exactly like she is on her blog), Jared Bauman and Mike Colon (who is seriously the most real, honest and down to earth person I heard).  I became inspired.  I found ways to better myself and my business.  I found friends.  I was stranded in Las Vegas and the Shootsac crew selflessly gave me a ride into California... and seriously, if you're a photographer and you don't have a Shootsac, you need one.

Lastly, I reinvented myself.  I took a lighting class from Kevin Jairaj...  and, I could tell you what I learned, but I would rather show you...

And of course... my favorite...
 I'm looking forward to making more of my images look like these... beware brides, you're about to be fabuloulicious!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel,

    I had no idea about how bad it was for you the first day or so! If you ever need anything, please feel free to email or call me! Thanks for attending the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rach -- This is a great set.. What a great eye you have!! I love your pics.... Blessings, debgraafsma.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Pics Rachel, I'm sorry your first day was horrible, wish you would have called me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you! It was Shootsac's pleasure to give you a ride into our town! :) See you later today hopefully!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys... I've heard that if you can get through your first year the rest will be a breeze... looking forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete